The New Mutants

I have been awaiting the release of New Mutants for over a year, and now that it has been released, I do think it was worth the wait.

Being the last attempt at the X-Men universe, there truly wasn't much of a tie into the other movies. The X-Men were mentioned maybe a handful of times, but other than that, it was truly, simply about NEW mutants. 

The lights didn't turn on automatically, but to much disappointment, there were no after credit scenes. Not that it was a shock; they wrapped up the film quite nicely and didn't leave room for another film. It's definitely an end of an Era.

When seeing this movie, I recommend keeping an open mind. I have always been a greater X-Men fan than Avengers (I know shame) and my friend informed me prior to seeing the movie, that although in the same universe, there wasn't much reference to the original world heroes that I had come to love. It centered around a new generation of mutant teenagers who were developing their powers. As with any mutant movie, or show, we know that a traumatic experience is what awakens your mutation, and that is no different in this movie! But their powers, their incredible abilities, were quickly exploited and misused. 

Without risking the possibility of  giving away the plot, I'll leave the synopsis at that. I feel bittersweet writing this, the end is definitely here. But it was beautiful. The same friend that had seen it before me is also terribly jumpy and said there were jump scares, whereas I didn't see it that way. So take that for what you want. 

Keep an open mind, an open heart, and remember, things are never as they seem.




Comments

Popular Posts