Serenity

So, before I get into the review let me just state something real quick. I did not want to see this film. I hadn't even heard of it until today (Jan 23, 2019). I work in a movie theater, and I am always excited for the release of films that I have been dying too watch. However, this time I was bored. I thought to myself "I can't just review the films that I want to watch. I have to branch out, and see those that don't strike me as appealing or those that I had never heard of." So I decided to invite my mother to join in and watch the screening of 'Serentity'. She, just as I, had never heard of the film. Needless to say, we were surprised.

Now I am going to warn you. I will be posting SPOILERS for the film. So, if you don't want to know any details, stop reading.

So...we ready? Yes? Okay, good!

Serenity is incredible!! This film is unique beyond belief. People always complain that the film industry doesn't make unique and original movies anymore. Well, we now have one. Serenity is as unique as they come.

The entire film is a game a boy named Patrick has created on his computer. Baker as well everybody else is a character in the game. Aside from the character of Reid, Reid is the rules of the game.

We find out that Patrick lives in an abusive household. His mother is constantly abused physically and sexually by his Step-father. Patrick wants to help his mother and end their suffering. Simply put, Patrick is contemplating on whether or not to kill his Step-father.

The entire game is a metaphor for Patrick's psychological battle between doing what he believes is morally incorrect and saving his mother. The NPC's (Non-playable characters) in the game are the part of Patrick's mind telling him "No, you shouldn't do it". While the character of Karen, the one small part of his mind saying 'Yes, do it.' is constantly pressuring Patrick to give in.

Reid or "The rules", is the representation of morality itself. Reid ends up telling the character Baker to kill Frank, who is the abusive husband and Step-father in the game. Ultimately meaning that sometimes the line between right and wrong is not always as bold as people make it seem. My take from this film is that it is better that one wicked man shall perish than it is for good and innocent people to be subjected to violence and harm.

This film is highly underrated by critics whos minds are too simple to understand the films narrative and depth.

Comments

Popular Posts