Happy Death Day 2U

Have you ever had that dream where you die over and over again but you don't know why? That's basically the plot of the first Happy Death Day film, released two years ago. Our main character, Tree Gelbman, is your stereotypical sorority bitch case, high and mighty and thinks she's way better than everyone else on campus. By the end of the film, she has a character change after having died a dozen times on her birthday, learning valuable lessons each time around. Not to be rude or anything, but that bitch had it coming. The film eventually ends with her killing her murderer, who had been drawn to do so out of jealousy. Go figure, a woman in yet another Hollywood film is drawn to murder only because she's jealous of another girl's man. That couldn't be any more stereotypical if they tried. But without a doubt, we enjoyed ourselves because stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, a sequel was premiered with a quippy name. I saw the first one so I was pretty pumped up to watch the second. And I can say, without a doubt, I was not disappointed. There's not a ton of movies where you can go in for the second, not having seen the first one, and be totally informed. With this series, we took my friend who hadn't seen the first one and she was fine. They perfectly implement the first movie into the second. 

Although having a lot of aspects of the first movie, the second one was definitely way funnier. I swear I peed myself, but that's totally off record, right? The whole dynamic of the second film was a bit better and more exciting. However, the first film had a better soundtrack, but not by far. 

Overall the whole concept in the film duo was that there's no avoiding what's meant to be. Or that's the lesson I got from it. The first movie didn't have much of a lesson, but tie them together and it's one of those destiny is destiny movies. When given the chance to change things in a different version of our universe, she decides to stay put. I think it was a fun way to put a spin on the topic. We always imagine what if? What if things had turned out differently? Tree was given that chance and in the end her reality was the best version, even if it hadn't seemed that way at first. 

My review, honestly, I loved the second film way more and I think the first one was more of a fluff piece. Overall it was a cute series that will give you a laugh but that's really about it. 



Comments

Popular Posts