Nacho Libre

       So it has been said to me many times before, "Why haven't you seen Nacho Libre?!?!", well, the time has come, I suppose, to mark this one as watched.

        First off, I have to say growing up Hispanic, I completely fell in love with the way they depicted the house in the opening scene. I grew up in the United States, but the decor was the same as my familia's in the 90's. There are so many things that reminded me of my younger days. I fully know the feeling of having the judgemental eyes of a catholic statue catch you, red handed and that feeling of " I need to behave now", lingering over my shoulder.

   
 Now, as for the story, it gave me something believable. Who can say they have never wanted to be a part of a life that seemed way more glamorous than their own. Less comedy in most cases hopefully, but something worth striving for, something worth dreaming about, in day to day life, where our responsibilities can sometimes over-shadow our dreams.





      As I got further into the movie, other than the craving for and Elote that just kept growing, so did my love for the comedy. I will admit that the horrible accents was something I noticed at the beginning, but it faded as the characters evolved out of their habitual existence.

     30 mins into the movie, my feelings were, that with a little bit of success, dreams can run a little aray. It was this point that Nacho, started growing his confidence. The Ego, always has a game to play and I waited in anticipation to find out what was going to happen, when it finally makes a move.

      Little did I know it was going to be a question soon answered. As the parties, and the lies, and the burning passion to be the best continued to pull this Lowly Friar further and further away from his responsibilities, the inevitable comes.... Life catches up with him.

      Then there was the fall from grace. Our Hero has a come to Jesus moment. No pun intended I swear!!! The ending really pulled together for me here, the life of this simple man, now lost in his own intents, finds something, I personally believe we all need in life, Something worth fighting for. Every moment up until now, the lies and losses and the drive to become something greater than your current self, come together with the strength of your convictions and the passion, an results in a True Victory. Having a life better than your own, doesn't always mean you have to throw everything out and start again, but to take another look through the mask.

I feel that I have waited too long to watch this movie. The slap stick comedy perfectly blended with the story and closed with, what i think is, a very important lesson. Some might not think this movie is as much fun as beating a dwarf with a churro, but it definitely deserves a watch.  This is a movie I wish I would've made time for sooner!






Comments

Popular Posts